5 Minute Read
How do you choose time tracking tools?
What is a time tracking tool?
- Time tracking tools automate employee time and attendance.
- Employees clock in and out for shifts.
- The software creates time cards and stores them online.
- Punch information is imported directly into the payroll system.
- For punch in/out, employees can use a physical time clock.
- Web-based time clocks are included in most systems.
- This allows employees to punch in on any internet-enabled device.
- Systems may also include employee scheduling and mobile tracking.
- Employee self-service is becoming almost universal.
- Extra functions include project management, job costing, and applicant tracking.
The ultimate goal is to help employers optimize their workforce. This includes reducing labor costs and streamlining administration. Compliance tools protect employers from wage and hour violations. Newer systems include tools for employee engagement, performance reviews, and benefits enrollment.
What To Look For In The Best Time Tracking Tools?
- A unified HR, Time Tracking and Scheduling Solution
- Employee time tracking from anywhere, including mobile apps
- Payroll Integration
- Compliance Tracking
- Advanced Reporting
- Accruals Management
- Time Off Requests
- Drag-and-drop Scheduling
Time Tracking Needs For Multi-State Employers
If you have recently added a location this year—kudos to you! It’s an achievement many companies never attain. Employee management takes on a new level of complexity. Here are some tools to help you avoid pitfalls:
- Advanced employee scheduling
- Set rules for predictive scheduling, overtime, meals/breaks.
- Biometric time clocks: ensure accurate timekeeping for state-specific minimum wage.
- Schedule adherence: prevent early punch in from mandated breaks. Restrict unauthorized punch outs that could affect overtime and minimum wage.
- Schedule alerts: Set overtime and out-of-schedule punch notifications.
- Records management: Compile documents in searchable databases to simplify recordkeeping requirements. (If using a software vendor, check their data security standards.)
Time Tracking Needs For International Teams
When your teams are spread across the globe, cloud-based access is a priority. Remote oversight is becoming easier and cheaper. Look for:
- Screenshot monitoring
- Job tracking for accurate client billing
- Website and app tracking
Time Tracking Needs For Manufacturing
In manufacturing, time theft and unnecessary overtime drive up payroll costs. Labor management software paired with biometric time clocks solve these problems. Biometric clocks make buddy punching and hours padding impossible. Schedule adherence restricts out-of-schedule punches. Limiting overtime also requires a two-pronged approach. Advanced scheduling software helps managers create schedules that limit overtime. Overtime alerts are an extra measure of protection.
- Biometric time clocks
- Schedule adherence
- Meals/breaks tracking
- Overtime alerts
- PTO tracking
- Customizable pay rules
Time Tracking Needs For Retail
When employees work at multiple stores, double booking is common with spreadsheet scheduling. The solution for shift coverage gaps is customizable scheduling software. You set shift rules that guide schedule creation. The system won’t allow you to double book an employee. Managers can easily view multiple calendars and locations. Online time card management speeds up approvals. Schedule adherence keeps payroll costs in check.
- Multi-location scheduling
- Fair workweek settings
- Schedule adherence
- Missed punch alerts
Time Tracking Needs for Education
The average elementary school has more employees than 90% of U.S. businesses. They also have numerous employee types, pay rates, and pay frequencies. Seasonal schedules, union contracts, and grant tracking add to workforce management challenges.
- Mobile app for convenient clock in/out regardless of location
- Work-hours tracking for multiple job roles
- Settings for seasonal staffing fluctuations
- Multiple pay frequencies
- PTO, vacation, leave management
- Work-study hours and grant-tracking alignment
Time Tracking Needs For Construction
Tracking employees at remote job sites is difficult with traditional punch clocks. Mobile apps with GPS allow managers to see when and where employees clock in.
- Portable, dust/water resistant time clocks + mobile app with GPS
- Integration with project management software
- Self-service time card, schedule, accruals
- Multi-crew scheduling
- License expiration alerts
Time Tracking Needs for Hospitality
The quality of workforce management affects both the guest experience and profit margin. In an environment where employees are largely unsupervised, oversight is a challenge. A capable scheduling solution handles around-the-clock shifts, numerous job roles, and multiple locations.
- Schedule forecasting helps match staffing demands to expected occupancy
- Track multiple employee types and locations
- Mobile punch in/biometric clocks reduce shift change confusion
- Online trade boards let employees pick up extra hours without back-and-forth texting
- Compliance tracking prevents wage and hour violations
Time Tracking Needs For Healthcare
Preventing understaffing, scheduling confusion, and staffing imbalances are necessary to take the best care of your patients. Employee self-service reduces absenteeism and employee burnout. Advanced reporting ensures compliance with FLSA, ACA, and Payroll Based Journal.
- Schedule by department, shift, skill, or job position
- Certifications tracking
- Online shift-swapping
- Auto-alerts for no-shows and encroaching overtime
Time Tracking Needs For Non-Profits
First off, non-profits need an affordable system. Then they must unlock value from every tool and process. Dispersed teams are common. Tracking volunteer hours is essential for compliance. Running a tight ship bolsters fundraising efforts. Carefully-chosen workforce management software reduces waste and overlap.
- Priced per employee—scales up or down
- Mobile app for any time, anywhere punch in/out
- Track paid/volunteer hours
- Advanced Reporting
SwipeClock Workforce Management
Using SwipeClock’s suite of products you can solve all of these problems simply and affordably. Click here to learn more.
By Liz Strikwerda