Let’s talk about time off management, because it has a big impact on your client’s company culture.
Unfortunately, for many small businesses, poor PTO management creates a poor culture. This is because many U.S. employees feel like vacations are discouraged. A new hire excited about generous PTO loses enthusiasm when they notice that their co-workers aren’t taking vacations. Or when they do take a vacation, their manager implies that they should answer client emails or log in remotely to meetings.
Employees value PTO and if they don’t feel comfortable taking time off, they may look elsewhere for work.
Therefore, create a vacation culture at your organization. Encourage vacations. Set a good example and completely disconnect.
Don’t expect staff members to check in while they’re away. They should also have the chance to disconnect completely. Otherwise, the vacation isn’t really a vacation.
Indeed, vacations raise employee morale and productivity.
WorkforceHub, the small business time and labor solution from Swipeclock.
WorkforceHub is uniquely suited for successful small business time-off management:
- Timekeeping for salaried, hourly, remote, mobile, and contract workers
- Employee PTO requests from a mobile app
- Supervisor approvals in HR system
- FMLA administration
- Connected to employee scheduling
Summary of 6 Key Findings About Employee Leave
1. Employees rank paid vacation as their second most-valued benefit after health insurance. (Project Time Off)
2. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), in 2021 the average PTO for private sector U.S. employees who had completed one year of service was 10 days.
3. More than a third of U.S. employees forfeited paid vacation days last year. (U.S. Travel.org)
5. Employees who believe their organization encourages vacation report higher job satisfaction. (Project Time Off)
6. Many U.S. businesses expect employees to work remotely for part of the day while they are away. When this is the case, employees are less likely to benefit physically and emotionally from the time off. (Mark Gorkin, MSW, LICSW, “The Stress Doc”)
7. 54% of organizations that switched to a combined PTO policy had a 10% decrease in unscheduled absences. 4% experienced a decrease of 20%. (The Alexander Hamilton Institute)
What are the risks of poor time off management?
- Lower morale
- Employee burnout
- Higher turnover
- Negative employer reputation
- Decreased productivity
- FMLA violations
Swipeclock offers WorkforceHub, the small business time and labor solution that makes it easy for your clients to optimize the performance of supervisors, employees, and business operations.
WorkforceHub was developed for busy employers who need to reduce cost-per-hire, streamline scheduling, automate time tracking, maintain regulatory compliance, and shrink labor costs.
Contact us today to request a demo.
Or are you interested in becoming a reseller? Check out the Swipeclock partner advantage now.
- Case Study: Home Health Agency - February 6, 2023
- Help Your Restaurant Clients Optimize Time & Labor - January 12, 2023
- Why is a Formal Onboarding Process Important for Your Clients? - December 21, 2022