Let’s talk about time off management.
PTO is one of the most valued benefits for U.S. employees. If administered properly, it can have a huge impact on your company.
Unfortunately, many U.S. employees feel like vacations are discouraged. A new hire excited about generous PTO becomes disengaged when they notice that their co-workers aren’t taking vacations. Or when they do take a vacation, their supervisor implies that they should answer client emails or log in remotely to meetings.
Create a Vacation Culture
Create a vacation culture at your business. This means that you encourage vacations. Certainly, management should set a good example. In addition, managers shouldn’t expect employees to check in while they’re away. After all, everyone should have the chance to disconnect completely. A vacation culture improves employee morale. And, of course, moral and productivity go hand in hand.
WorkforceHub, the Human Resources Management System (HRMS) from Swipeclock.
WorkforceHub is uniquely suited for efficient time-off management.
- Timekeeping for salaried, hourly, remote, mobile, and contract workers
- Employees can see their accruals and request time off in a mobile app
- Supervisors can approve, reject or modify in the software
- Configure for state or federal family leave
- Employee scheduling synced with time-off
Summary of 7 Key Findings About Employee Leave
- Employees rank paid vacation as their second most-valued benefit after health insurance. (Project Time Off)
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), in 2020 the average PTO for all U.S. employees was 11 days annually plus 3-4 days for every 5 years of employment.
- More than half of U.S. employees forfeit vacation days every year. (U.S. Travel.org)
- In 2018, American workers failed to use 768 million vacation days. (U.S. Travel.org)
- Employees who believe their organization encourages vacation report improved job satisfaction. (Project Time Off)
- Many U.S. organizations expect employees to work remotely for part of the day while they are away. When this is the case, employees are less likely to benefit physically and emotionally from the time off. (Mark Gorkin, MSW, LICSW, “The Stress Doc”)
- 54% of businesses that switched to a combined PTO policy had a 10% decrease in unscheduled absences. 4% experienced a decrease of 20%. (The Alexander Hamilton Institute)
What are the risks of poor time-off management?
Employers who mishandle leave can end up with a serious problem on their hands.
- Lower workforce morale
- Employee burnout
- Higher turnover
- Negative employer reputation
- Reduced productivity
- FMLA violations
Swipeclock offers WorkforceHub, the Human Resources Management System (HRMS) that makes it easy to optimize the performance of your managers, employees, and company workflows.
Contact us today to request a demo.
Or are you interested in becoming a reseller? Check out the Swipeclock partner advantage now.
- Case Study: Home Health Agency - February 6, 2023
- Help Your Restaurant Clients Optimize Time & Labor - January 12, 2023
- Why is a Formal Onboarding Process Important for Your Clients? - December 21, 2022