Let’s talk about time off management.
If done correctly, it makes a huge impact on your culture.
Unfortunately, many U.S. employees feel like vacations are discouraged. A new hire excited about generous PTO becomes disengaged when they notice that their co-workers aren’t taking vacations. Or when they do take a vacation, their manager implies that they should answer client emails or log in remotely to meetings.
PTO is one of the crucial benefits to employees.
Create a vacation culture at your organization. Encourage vacations. Set a good example.
Don’t expect staff members to check in while they’re away. They should have the chance to disconnect completely.
Vacations raise employee morale and productivity.
WorkforceHUB, the Human Resources Management System (HRMS) from SwipeClock.
WorkforceHUB is uniquely suited for successful time off management.
- timekeeping for salaried, hourly, remote, mobile, and contract workers
- staff member vacation requests
- supervisor approvals
- FMLA administration
- employee scheduling
Summary of 7 Key Findings About Employee Leave
1. Employees rank paid vacation as their second most-valued benefit after health insurance. (Project Time Off)
2. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), in 2018 the average PTO for all U.S. employers was 9.7 days annually plus 3-4 days for every 5 years of employment.
3. More than half of U.S. employees forfeit vacation days every year. (U.S. Travel.org)
4. In 2018, American workers failed to use 768 million vacation days. (U.S. Travel.org)
5. Employees who believe their organization encourages vacation report higher job satisfaction. (Project Time Off)
6. Many U.S. businesses expect employees to work remotely for part of the day while they are away. When this is the case, employees are less likely to benefit physically and emotionally from the time off. (Mark Gorkin, MSW, LICSW, “The Stress Doc”)
7. 54% of organizations that switched to a combined PTO policy had a 10% decrease in unscheduled absences. 4% experienced a decrease of 20%. (The Alexander Hamilton Institute)
What are the risks of poor time off management?
- lower labor force morale
- employee burnout
- higher turnover
- negative employer reputation
- decreased productivity
- FMLA violations
SwipeClock offers WorkforceHUB, the Human Resources Management System (HRMS) that makes it easy to optimize the performance of your supervisors, employees, and business operations.
WorkforceHUB includes TimeWorksPlus, TimeSimplicity, TimeWorks Mobile, and ApplicantStack. We’ve just added recruiting, onboarding, benefits enrollment, performance reviews, and employee engagement! WorkforceHUB was developed for busy employers like you who need to reduce cost-per-hire, streamline scheduling, automate time tracking, maintain regulatory compliance, and shrink labor costs.
How much can you save? Check our SwipeClock ROI Calculator.
We can get you up and running with WorkforceHUB immediately. Contact us today to schedule a demo.