Understanding your responsibility for Payroll Based Journal reporting is the first step to successfully meeting the requirements as mandated by the Centers for Medicaid & Medicare Services (CMS).
All long-term nursing facilities are required to provide specific employee data for all of their direct care staff as well as their residents’ census data—Medicare, Medicaid, or other.
Effective July 1, 2016, the PBJ reporting will be mandatory.
The employee specific data required is as follows:
– a unique employee ID for each direct staff care provider (no SSN’s allowed)
– a complete, accurate record for each facility that identifies their direct care staff (Includes agency and contractors too)
– include medical personnel as defined by CMS (RN, PT, LPN, etc.)
– direct care staff turnover and tenure (date of hire and term dates)
– hours of care provided by each category of staff per resident per day including start and end date and the hours worked per individual
This information is critical for CMS to set an effective a standard that will enable them to rate long-term nursing facilities’ quality of care.