Here at SwipeClock, we not only provide tools and software so that our partners can grow their accounting, consulting, and other businesses, but we also provide marketing tools to help them do it. Most of our partners provide business services and software to small businesses and are also small businesses themselves. This is part of an ongoing series regarding marketing as one of the tools we provide to our partners.
A few weeks ago, we published an article in Forbes titled Good News: These Three Common Online Mistakes Are Easy To Fix. We’d like to give more hints and tips for Swipeclock partners that we weren’t able to include in the original article. We aren’t going to summarize the core information, so be sure to check out the article before continuing.
Failing to have an updated website.
There are several things to check on your website to make sure it is updated and to build trust with consumers.
According to a study done by Vistaprint, there are several things most likely to leave a bad impression on a customer.
- Outdated Contact Information (49.7% of consumers)
- No Address, Directions, or Business Hours (41.5%)
- No Product Information (34.3%)
- Unprofessional Design or Color Scheme (26.2%)
- Fonts that make text hard to read (23.7%)
- Bad Mobile Experience (17.8 %)
Fortunately, these errors are usually easy and quick to fix!
Failing to Commit
Too often, SMBs start the road toward an online presence only to run out of marketing money, time, or momentum. Instead, consider using these tips to keep your momentum high.
- Create a strategy and plan that covers an extended timeline
- Identify your goals and target audience.
- Prioritize: Don’t start off with such a high workload that it will be impossible to maintain as the business gets busier and other urgent matters arise
- Stay focused: There are many distractions in online marketing. Should you change the shade, the font, the design? Should you add a video, or more images. Stick to your plan. Don’t get distracted. It may not be perfect, but get it up. Start the momentum.
- Adjust: If you feel that you have come across some information or steps that are vital for success, then add them into your plan. Just don’t allow yourself to get distracted without a mindful decision.
- Measure small success!
Did you know there are 3 main reasons why people leave a goal and a plan? By avoiding these mistakes, it will be easier to keep your momentum going.
- Perfectionism: Get that video up even if you could change some minor things. Go ahead and publish the article, even if you still need to add images or reformat it. Just.Do.It.
- Lack of Faith: The inability to see the end results when it looks as if the ground is still barren. Imaging a seed about to break through the ground.
- Inability to Keep Commitments: Maintain your goals and original plan. Continue moving forward even when roadblocks arise.
Failing to Change
Online success is a constantly moving target. What worked in 1996 no longer worked in 2000. Likewise, what worked 2 or 3 years ago probably won’t yield the same results. It’s important to stick to your online plan, but it’s just as important to pay attention to the data. If you are seeing a greater response to infographics and videos than you are to your blog articles, then consider focusing your energy on those types of visual content. The same rule applies to social media. Different audiences navigate toward specific platforms.
That doesn’t mean you have to abandon your whole plan, instead, test changes and see what works. Don’t be afraid to try new ideas!
Written by Annemaria Duran. Last updated on August 14, 2018